What to say about Angelina Jolie? This wild in the heart and unique woman is one of the most popular actresses at the moment, on and off screen. Her private life is heavily exposed since her relationship with Brad Pitt and giving birth to her biological children Shiloh, Knox, and Vivienne. She also gathered attention adopting children from undeveloped countries and saving them from hunger and poverty (Maddox, Pax, and Zahara). Jolie has promoted humanitarian causes throughout the world, and is noted for her work with refugees through UNHCR.
It is time to find out more about her way to fame, Hollywood success, relationships and her children.
- Angelina Jolie was born in Los Angeles, California, as daughter of actors Jon Voight and Marcheline Bertrand.
- She is of Slovak and American descent on her father's side and French-Canadian and Haudenosaunee (Iroquian Indian) heritage on her mother's side.
- After her parents' separation in 1976, Jolie and her brother were raised by their mother, who abandoned her acting ambitions and moved with them to Palisades, New York.
- She is the niece of Chip Taylor, sister of James Haven and the god-daughter of Jacqueline Bisset and Maximilian Schell.
- As a child Jolie regularly saw movies with her mother and later explained that this had inspired her interest in acting.
- When she was eleven years old, the family moved back to Los Angeles and Jolie decided she wanted to act and enrolled at the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute, where she trained for two years and appeared in several stage productions. Later she joined the renowned Met Theatre Group in Los Angeles.
- Went to elementary school at William O. Schaefer School in Tappan, New York. She graduated from El Rodeo elementary school in 1989.
- Jolie's mother survived on a more modest income, and Jolie often wore second-hand clothes.
- She was teased by other students who also targeted her for her distinctive features, for being extremely thin, and for wearing glasses and braces.
- Graduated from Beverly Hills High School (later Moreno High School), the same school as Lenny Kravitz. She also went to school with Michael Klesic and Bahar Soomekh.
- Her self-esteem was further diminished when her initial attempts at modeling proved unsuccessful. She started to cut herself; later commenting, "I collected knives and always had certain things around. For some reason, the ritual of having cut myself and feeling the pain, maybe feeling alive, feeling some kind of release, it was somehow therapeutic to me."
- At the age of 14, she dropped out of her acting classes and dreamed of becoming a funeral director.
- During this period, she wore black, dyed her hair purple and went out moshing with boyfriend.
- Two years later, after the relationship had ended, she rented an apartment above a garage a few blocks from her mother's home.
- She returned to theatre studies and graduated from high school, though in recent times she has referred to this period with the observation, "I am still at heart—and always will be—just a punk kid with tattoos".
- Jolie began working as a fashion model when she was 14 years old. She was signed with Finesse Model Management and modeled in both the United States and Europe, working mainly in Los Angeles, New York and London.
- At age 16, she took up a career in modeling and appeared in some music videos, including those of Meat Loaf ("Rock & Roll Dreams Come Through"), Antonello Venditti ("Alta Marea"), Lenny Kravitz ("Stand by My Woman"), and The Lemonheads ("It's About Time").
- Angelina has been long estranged from her father, though a reconciliation was attempted.
- In July 2002, Jolie filed a request to legally change her name to "Angelina Jolie", dropping Voight as her surname.
- In August of the same year, Voight claimed that his daughter had "serious emotional problems" on Access Hollywood. Jolie later indicated that she no longer wished to pursue a relationship with her father, and said, "My father and I don't speak. I don't hold any anger toward him. I don't believe that somebody's family becomes their blood. Because my son's adopted, and families are earned."
- Jolie appeared in five of her brother's student films, made while he attended the USC School of Cinematic Arts, but her professional movie career began in 1993, when she played her first leading role in the low-budget film Cyborg 2.
- In the mid-1990s, Jolie appeared in various small films where she got good notices, including Hackers (1995) and Foxfire (1996).
- She got a major break in 1999 when she won a leading role in the successful feature The Bone Collector (1999), starring alongside Denzel Washington.
- At her wedding to her Hackers (1995) co-star Jonny Lee Miller, she had displayed her husband's name on the back of her shirt painted in her own blood.
- Jolie and Miller divorced and in 2000 she married her Pushing Tin (1999) co-star Billy Bob Thornton.
- Jolie means pretty in French.
- Has the letter 'H' tattooed on the inside of her left wrist, which is a reference to two people
she is close to who have this letter in their names: her brother, James Haven, and Timothy Hutton.
- She got the tattoo when she was dating Timothy but since their break up she now says it's only for James.
- Has a tattoo of the Tennesee Williams quote, A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages, on her left forearm.
- Has the Latin phrase Quod me nutrit me destruit (What nourishes me also destroys me) tattooed across her stomach.
- Has tattoos of the coordinates representing the locations where she adopted Maddox and Zahara on her left arm, which cover up the Billy Bob Thornton tattoo.
- She dropped the Voights as her surname following the bad relationship with her dad Jon Voight.
- Favorite music: Madonna, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, The Clash, Matchbox Twenty.
- One of her favorite TV shows is King of the Hill (1997). She also enjoys the Game Show Network and Animal Planet.
- Her godfather Maximilian Schell always gave her a doll as a birthday present, from her first to sixteenth. Sometimes it was a modern doll, made of plastic, sometimes it was an old and precious one, made of wood or porcelain.
- Has complained people take her politics ''less seriously'' because she is an actress.
- Said she gave up lesbian and kinky sex after falling for Brad Pitt.
- Says she wants to be remembered for her humanitarian work, not as an actress.
- Admits that she didn't want to have her own children until she met Brad Pitt.
- Jolie and her brother James Haven consider themselves orphans after the death of their mother - because they are not close to their father, Jon Voight.
- She has been staying away from her dad Jon Voight, because he has been trying to reach her to get help. They have not spoken to each other for months. In the early 2002, Voight said the last time he saw her was during Paramount's 90th anniversary party. He ran to give her a hug, and one of her representatives stepped in his way and said, Get back.
- Jolie and Brad Pitt made their first public appearance together at The Muhammad Ali Center's Grand Opening Gala in Louisville. (November, 2005)
- She adopted a Cambodian baby boy, named Maddox. Jolie took custody of the baby in Africa, where she was shooting Beyond Borders. Maddox Jolie-Pitt, was born on August 5th, 2001 in Cambodia. His original name was Rath Vibol.
- Gave birth to a baby girl, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt, on May 27, 2006 in Namibia.
- Says the experience of giving birth to Shiloh was frightening because she was scared she was “not gonna take a first breath.”
- Her brother James Haven Voight claims that she and her partner Brad Pitt named their baby daughter, Shiloh, after him – Their parents -John Voight and Marcheline Bertrand-had initially decided to name him James Shiloh Voight, but they later switched to his present name.
- Has officially adopted a 3-year-old Vietnamese boy almost a year after rescuing him from a Vietnamese orphanage and decided to change his name from Pham Quang Sang to Pax Thien Jolie (Pax means peace in Latin and Thien means sky in Vietnamese).
- Her friends have forced her to take cooking lessons, because she's such a disaster in the kitchen.
- Angelina has said that she speaks very little French.
- Her height is 5' 8" (1.73 m)
- Jolie acknowledged a past affair with a woman, saying she was surprised when she suddenly found herself having those feelings she always had for men toward a woman.
- Her petition to have her children's last names changed to Jolie-Pitt has been granted by an LA judge.
- Barely two months since her birth, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's baby Shiloh Nouvel has been chosen to be the first infant ever memorialized in wax by Madame Tussauds.
- Gave her mother the nickname Great Lady.
- Holds a Private Pilot Certificate with the Airplane, Single Engine, Land rating. This means that she is qualified to fly any single-engined aircraft based on land (i.e., no seaplanes) under visual flight rules only (i.e., no instrument qualifications yet so she cannot fly in conditions requiring instruments).
- Her adoption of an Ethiopian orphan has given hope to thousands more parentless children, because her example has sparked a huge interest in adoption.
- Praised by a leading U.S. pediatrician for saving the life of her Ethiopian daughter Zahara Marley by bringing her to the hospital, right after she arrived in the U.S. The baby suffered salmonella intestinal infection as well as dehydration and malnutrition, conditions which would have led to her death in her African homeland.
- She began collecting knives and other weapons when, as a child, she used to attend renaissance fairs with her mother and brother.
- Jolie and Brad Pitt celebrated the birth of their daughter in Namibia by donating $300,000 to help other babies in this impoverished southern African country.
- Says she was searching for a father to her children before she met Brad Pitt.
- Says that she and Brad Pitt have never said ''I love you'' to each other.
- Has the sexiest lips in the world, according to a poll conducted by UK FHM.
- Says she won't get married to Brad Pitt.
- Has criticized Madonna for adopting Malawian child David Banda in an illegal manner.
- Jolie hated her famous Lara Croft character at first because she was just a cartoonish cute girl in hotpants, but then she says, Now, I've really come to like Lara, so she's just like a weird friend.
- Mr & Mrs Smith director Doug Liman insists there were no signs that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were an item on his film set, saying the story was just the tabloids working overtime, trying to explain Pitt's break-up from wife Jennifer Aniston. (June 28, 2005)
- According to her neighbors in the sleepy town of Fulmer, Berkshire, Jolie's like most women around here and often pops down her local pub for a mineral water and a sarnie.
- Donates one third of all her earnings to charity, saying she has too much money for her own needs and wants her wealth to benefit those who are in need.
- The Jolie-Pitt Foundation donated $1 million to children affected by the Iraq war; $500,000 for school supplies and education programs for refugee children in Iraq and $500,000 for American children who either lost a parent deployed in Iraq or have a parent serving in that country.
- Visited the Iraqi capital Baghdad, in her role as a United Nations good will ambassador, on a mission to highlight the plight of Iraqi refugees.
- Kidnappers reportedly planned to abduct her Vietnamese son Pax when the pair arrived back in the US on March 19 and hold the three year old to ransom for $100million.
- Honored by the United Nations with Global Humanitarian Action award for her work as a goodwill ambassador for refugees.
- Has brought some cheer to a six-year-old Australian boy suffering from cancer, by fulfilling his wish of meeting her.
- Sent letters to the US government, urging authorities to increase the efforts over the disaster left by Katrina.
- Jolie, Sienna Miller, and Charlize Theron refused to play the role of the Bond babe in the 007 movie Casino Royale.
- She was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva, Switzerland after her visits to Sierra Leone, Tanzania and Pakistan.
- Granted Cambodian citizenship by the Asian country's King Norodom Sihamoni on August 11, 2005.
- Is left-handed and therefore had to have guns specially made so that she could reload them easily for Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001).
- Performed her own stunts in Tomb Raider and received cuts from the chandelier scene as a result.
- She wore pads to make her bust appear larger on film.
- Amused assistants at a Los Angeles store when she took some towels into the changing rooms to try them out.
- Has furiously denied reports she enjoyed an intimate affair with actor Colin Farrell, insisting they're just great friends.
- Used to own several pet reptiles, including two snakes. Therefore she had no problem shooting the snake scene in Alexander (2004).
- Congratulated her ex-husband Billy Bob Thornton on his new star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, by taking out a full-page advertisement in a trade publication. She writes, Billy, I love your brilliant mind... Congratulations! With love and respect always, Angie.
- Her skin-tight black leather pants split down the back while she was on the red carpet for the London premiere of Beowulf. Luckily Brad Pitt covered the exposed area with his hand.
- Forced Brad Pitt to put his beloved minimalist furniture in his Malibu home into storage, along with the items he and Jen picked up.
- Has revealed that she never feels intimidated when she meets with politicians to discuss refugee issues, because she knows so much on the subject that she won't be patronized.
- Gave her Oscar Statuette, Golden Globes, SAG Awards, and Critic Choice Award to her mother. She felt she didn't need to hang on to awards.
Therapy? I don't need that. The roles that I choose are my therapy.
Because I am a bad girl, people always automatically think that I am a bad girl. Or that I carry a dark secret with me or that I'm obsessed with death. The truth is that I am probably the least morbid person one can meet. If I think more about death than some other people, it is probably because I love life more than they do.
You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives; shit happens.
I've told Billy if I ever caught him cheating, I wouldn't kill him because I love his children and they need a dad. But I would beat him up. I know where all of his sports injuries are. And I'd beat her, too!
I seem to be getting a lot of things pushed my way that are strong women. It's like people see Hackers (1995) and they send me offers to play tough women with guns, the kind who wear no bra and a little tank top. I'd like to play strong women who are also very feminine.
There's something about death that is comforting. The thought that you could die tomorrow frees you to appreciate life now.
If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is.
You might never find out that you are useful for all the right reasons - and not all those stupid things that people tell you you're useful for.
My role as goodwill ambassador has made my work as a film star relatively dull. I can't find anything that interests me enough to go back to work. I'm simply not excited about anything. I'm not excited about going to a film set.
[on what she does with the money she makes each year] Save one-third, live on one-third and give away one-third.
If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I'm not frightened by anyone's perception of me.
[Regarding the possibility of marriage with her current beau and father of her child, Brad Pitt] We have both been married before so it's not marriage that necessarily kept some people together.
 I'm drawn to kids that are already born. I think some people are meant to do certain things, and I believe I'm meant to find my children in the world somewhere and not necessarily have them genetically.
It's alright. It's a part of life . . . I lost my mom. It's a natural thing for a child to lose a parent. I lost my mom too young, but it happened. And I'm happy she's out of pain, because I love her and she's my friend.
Not many people know this about me but I'm a natural blonde. My hair went from light blonde naturally to a darker kind of blonde. My mother dyed my hair dark when I was a child as I loved the look then. So I'loved the look then. So I'm basically a natural blonde.
Suscribe my post